It’s Going to Be Hot in Yakima Today! Here Are Some Heat Safety Tips
The National Weather Service has issued a heat advisory for the Yakima Valley. The advisory takes effect at noon today (Aug. 6) and expires at 8 p.m. Wednesday (Aug. 7).
The Yakima forecast calls for highs hitting 103 today, 102 on Wednesday.
It's always good to refresh ourselves on some heat safety tips when the weather gets the hot. Here are some tips from Nationwide Insurance:
- Stay indoors as much as possible, and limit sun exposure.
- If you don't have AC, visit someplace that does – such as a library or shopping mall.
- If you need to work outdoors, do it in the early mornings or evenings. It’s summer, so luckily there’s still daylight after 8 p.m.
- Drink plenty of water and eat well-balanced, light and regular meals. And avoid alcohol.
- Dress in loose, lightweight and light-colored clothes.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat to protect your face and neck from the sun.
- Make sure pets have plenty of water and a cool place to rest.
- Keep an eye on older adults, young children and those who are sick or overweight. They're the most likely to suffer heat-related illnesses.
- Never leave children or pets in closed vehicles.
Check out the full list here.