Have Children’s Cereals Gone Too Far? [POLL]
A new survey is putting several popular kids’ cereals on the naughty list. The Environmental Working Group has listed the top 10 worst sugary children’s cereals. Julie Metos, University of Utah Nutritionist says "it's a Candy.
The 10 Worst Children’s Cereals, based on percent of sugar by weight
1. Kellogg’s Honey Smacks 55.6%
2. Post Golden Crisp 51.9%
3. Kellogg’s Froot Loops Marshmallow 48.3%
4. Quaker Oats Cap’n Crunch’s OOPS! All Berries 46.9%
5. Quaker Oats Cap’n Crunch Original 44.4%
6. Quaker Oats Oh!s 44.4%
7. Kellogg’s Smorz 43.3%
8. Kellogg’s Apple Jacks 42.9%
9. Quaker Oats Cap’n Crunch’s Crunch Berries 42.3%
10. Kellogg’s Froot Loops Original 41.4%
Studies suggest that children who eat breakfasts that are high in sugar have more problems at school. They become more frustrated and have a harder time working independently than kids who eat lower-sugar breakfasts. By lunchtime they have less energy, are hungrier, show attention deficits and make more mistakes on their work. About one in five American children is obese, according to CDC, which has reported that childhood obesity has tripled over the past 30 years.