National Homeless Persons’ Memorial Day
Triumph Treatment Center is hosting a fantastic event and they need your help!
This Friday (Dec. 21), they're remembering your neighbors who have died homeless in the past year. National Homeless Persons' Memorial Day takes place each year on the longest night of the year, Dec. 21. Locally, it will be observed from 1:30-3:30 p.m. at the Union Gospel Mission, where vendors can connect people to vitally needed services.
- In 2017, 553,742 million Americans were living below the poverty level. For children under 18, the poverty rate was 19.7 percent.
- More than 41 million Americans are dependent on food stamps.
- On a typical night in 2017, more than 553,000 Americans were homeless.
- Nearly 2.5 million children in America experience homelessness each year.
They are collecting items for backpacks for the local homeless and they need the following items and you can bring them to Triumph Treatment Center at 120 S 3rd strret Yakima. They want to fill 300 backpacks!
They are also in need of hairdressers and or barbers who would like to volunteer their time at the event to give haircuts! If you are interested please email me at email@example.com and I can put you in contact with the event rep!
- Blankets fleece Tie Twin size, sleeping bags, wool or warm blankets
- Cash donations to purchase backpacks
- Back packs (new)
- Survival gear - duct tape, emergency ‘space’ blankets, hand warmers
- Blister pack /Mole Skin
· Knit/fleece winter hats—neutral colors
· Knit/fleece winter scarves, gloves
· Warm thick/winter socks
· Shampoo/Conditioner, Soaps
· Lip balm
· Tylenol or Advil
· Toilet paper
· Feminine Hygiene Products (small packs of tampons or sanitary napkins)
· Wipes (soft-packaged but re-closable)
· Hand Sanitizer
· Nail clippers
· Fleece Blankets
· Large Plastic (garbage) bags
· Quart size Ziploc bags
· Re-usable water bottles
· Can openers, Plastic Utensils
· Non-perishable, individually wrapped foods (cheese and crackers, granola bars, protein bars, beef jerky, etc.)
Other Useful Items:
· Bus passes
· Gift cards to stores or restaurants